Located at Chestnut and Main Street in Foxborough, Massachusetts, the Foxborough State Hospital, originally known as the Massachusetts Hospital for Dipsomaniacs and Inebriates, was designed by architect Charles Brigham, and opened in 1889. The campus was originally an Inebriate Asylum, but inmates kept escaping because of the hospital’s proximity to railways and roads. It was turned into a standard mental hospital in 1910.
The complex was originally composed of smaller residential ward buildings in an L shape, but they were later connected by long hallways. Patient rooms were in the wings, with the newly constructed hallways serving as the day rooms. Foxborough State Hospital closed in 1976, but some buildings were repurposed for a time such as the auditorium was used for a haunted house, and a Registry of Motor Vehicles operated out of the main building. The original buildings were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994.
By 2004, the property was no longer in use and was sold to a developer. Redevelopment began in 2005. The main hospital building was turned into condominiums, and some others have been turned into office space, a shopping plaza, as well as single and multiple family housing. However, many of the original buildings were demolished.
Matt Lambros MA Foxborough Aug 04, 2022 Abandoned Places Architecture History