The Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse was authorized to be built by Congress in 1853 and completed in 1860. The 122 acres of land was surveyed by Lieutenant General George Meade who a decade later as a major general in the Civil War defeated General Robert E Lee at Gettysburg. Confederate sympathizers disabled the light throughout the Civil War but reopened in 1862 to be used by Confederate blockade runners operating between Florida and the Bahamas.
Relighted in June 1866 it has remained an active aid to navigation ever since.
in 1869 James Armour was promoted to head keeper and held the position until 1906 after remarkable 40 years service.
This brick and oyster shell construction is 108 ft tall and there is an informative 2-3 hour tour and 105 steps to the top if you want a little exercise.
The museum is housed in the last remaining building from an important World War II Naval radio station.
There’s a beach & kayaking for fun too.
David Garland FL Jupiter Jan 02, 2023 Maritime War & Peace