The Granite Store in Sullivan, Maine, is a historically significant commercial building located on United States Route 1. It stands out as an unusual example of Greek Revival architecture, notably because it is constructed from rough-cut granite. The building is estimated to have been constructed between 1835 and 1850. In recognition of its architectural and historical significance, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The building’s design includes a 2-1/2 story structure with a front-facing gable roof, resting on a granite foundation. Its walls are made from courses of locally quarried rough-cut granite, while the gable ends are constructed in wood and finished with weatherboard. The main facade, oriented north, features a central entry framed by long granite blocks, flanked by pairs of sash windows with additional windows above and a smaller one in the gable end. Interestingly, the side walls of the building lack windows and the rear has a configuration that suggests it once included a doorway likely used as a loading entry.
Historically, the Granite Store is believed to have initially served as a salt and supply store for fishermen operating on the Grand Banks in the 1840s. By the late 1850s, the property was utilized as a shipyard for building fishing schooners, with the store functioning as a chandlery, supplying mariners with necessary goods. After the 1870s, the building experienced periods of vacancy, although it was occasionally used as a gift shop and art gallery. It has since been adapted for residential use.