The Art Theatre in Quincy, MA originally opened as the Alhambra Theatre on February 19, 1917. It was built by Col. Henry L. Kincaide, a local Quincy businessman. The theater opened as a burlesque house and featured touring troupes after they played at the Gayety, Casino or Howard Theatres in Boston. The theater did not have a balcony, and had 875 seats. It cost $60,000 to build or 1.5 million when adjusted for inflation.
In 1918, Kincaide leased the theater to Fred B. Murphy, a film distributor, who reopened it as a silent movie theater. The Alhambra was eventually converted to show talking motion pictures in the late 1920s. Its name was changed to the Art in 1945, but the Alhambra Coffee shop, which was in one of the theater’s retail spaces, never changed its name.
It closed in the late 1960s, and was demolished in the early 1970s. The site is now home to the regional offices of Stop and Shop, a supermarket chain.
Matt Lambros MA Quincy Feb 09, 2023 Architecture History Then & Now