The Lincoln Theatre in Quincy, MA originally opened in 1920 as the Casino Theatre. It was owned and managed by J. Alcide “Al” Beaumier, a local businessman. In the theaters early days it showed live acts and silent films, before switching to talking motion pictures. The theater closed after it was damaged by a fire in 1935.
Beaumier spared no expense and restored and reopened the theater with several alterations including a giant chandelier, assistive devices for the hearing impaired, expanded seating for up to 1000 people, and a state-of-the art (for its time) air-cooling system. He also added a bowling alley in the building’s basement. During World War II, the Lincoln was home to many benefit shows and war bond rallies. At one bond rally, the theater sold $151,000 in bonds, which is 2.5 million when adjusted for inflation.
In April 1951, a fire broke out in the bowling alley, and forced the evacuation of the building. The fire was extinguished before it could spread to the theater. Beaumier was killed in a car accident in 1956. The Lincoln closed in 1976, and was torn down in 1980. It was replaced by a small building and a parking lot.
Matt Lambros MA Quincy Feb 09, 2023 Architecture History Then & Now