The Trenton Battle Monument commemorates the American victory at the first Battle of Trenton, NJ, which occurred on December 26, 1776. It is located in an area of the city known as “Five Points.” It was here, at the intersection of North Broad Street, Warren Street and Brunswick, Pennington and Princeton Avenue, that the American artillery was placed. From this vantage point, the artillery dominated the streets of Trenton, preventing the Hessian troops from organizing an effective counter attack.
The monument, a 148 – foot high triumphal column of granite in the Roman -Doric style with a large base decorated with acanthus leaves and surmounted by a pedestal supporting a statue of General Washington directing troop movements, commemorates the American victory at Trenton. The monument came to fruition after years of planning by the Trenton Battle Monument Association when the cornerstone was laid on December 26, 1891 (the 115th Anniversary of the battle). The Association employed leading artists of the time to design and construct the monument. The monument was designed by John H. Duncan, architect of President Grant’s tomb. William O’Donovan contributed the statues of General Washington atop the pedestal, as well as John Russell of the 14th Continental Regiment and Blair McClenachan of the Philadelphia Troop of Light Horse flanking the main door at the base. Thomas Eakins created two of the bas-reliefs, “The Continental Army Crossing the Delaware River” and “The Opening of the Fight” that adorn the base of the monument. Finally, Karl H. Niehaus is credited with the last bas-relief entitled “The Surrender of the Hessians”. Reproductions have replaced the original bas-reliefs which are now housed in the New Jersey State Museum. The rear of the monument contains a historical tablet presented by the New Jersey Society of the Cincinnati.
Christopher Gentile NJ Trenton Jun 16, 2022 History Memorials Nostalgia War & Peace