Charles Wellington Walker designed the new home of the Bridgeport YMCA in 1927. The style, “English Tudor – Gothic”, was intentionally Baronic to emphasize the luxurious features of the facility, which included a billiard room, a custom tile pool, massage tables, and a mahogany-paneled library.
Even during the Depression, Bridgeport acknowledged and embraced its ethnic diversity. The Y.M.C.A. offered a class called “English for Foreigners”, and helped to start the State Trade School to help new arrivals find employment.