Then and Now - Proctor's Palace Theatre - Newark, NJ
The Proctor’s Palace Theatre opened in Newark, New Jersey, on November 22, 1915. It eventually became part of the RKO theater chain, and was renamed RKO Proctor’s Theatre. The first photograph was taken during that time. It closed in 1968 when RKO merged with Stanley Warner, who owned Newark’s larger and more profitable Branford Theater.
Most of the building has been vacant for over 50 years, and due to neglect, much of the theater has collapsed. The second photo was taken after the proscenium arch, and the theater ceiling had collapsed to the auditorium floor. There is only a small amount of ornamental plasterwork remaining. The building is slated to be demolished, but no timeline exists for when this will happen.
Matt Lambros NJ Newark Oct 27, 2022 Abandoned Places Architecture Then & Now
Location: Newark, NJ
Matt Lambros Oct 27, 2022
Share Then and Now - Proctor's Palace Theatre - Newark, NJ