“Friends are like lighthouses with the sources of light coming from their hearts” – Tom Baker
Perched atop a sixty foot high bluff overlooking the marsh and Egan’s Creek on Amelia Island, the lighthouse is located three quarters of a mile inland surrounded by trees which has helped preserve the structure from the weather.
Built in 1838 this is Florida’s oldest lighthouse and is the westernmost lighthouse on the east coast of the United States. Historically lighthouses guided those at sea helping mariners to get their bearing and identify the town they neared.
This is another Winslow Lewis design constructed of brick, a double walled tower, a cone within a cone and is 64 feet tall with a focal height of 107 feet. The lighthouse has a range of 23 nautical miles, flashing every 10 seconds.
Originally the lighthouse used 14 oil lamps burning whale or lard oil and later used kerosene. In 1903 a third order Fresnel lens was installed and is still in place today. The lens has 12 sections, each with a round convex bullseye panel that provides a bright flash of light as the lens rotate. In 1933 the lighthouse was electrified and then automated in 1970. The lighthouse is open to the public three times a week and you cannot climb the stairs inside the lighthouse. Tours open the first and third Wednesdays of the month.
Amelia island has 13 miles of beautiful beaches and the town is filled with terrific restaurants and bars. Have fun!
David Garland FL Fernandina Beach Dec 20, 2022 Back in Time History Places to Visit