This 24/7 institution began in the 1930’s and continued through the 1960’s in East Lansdowne, Delaware County. The Fernwood undoubtedly lost business when Route 1 was moved from Baltimore Pike to City Avenue in 1960 with the completion of the Twin Bridges over the Schuylkill River. The map is from a 1946 Esso roadmap of Pennsylvania showing the Route 1 bypass along Hunting Park Avenue to City Avenue and the original route down Broad Street and across the Schuylkill River to Baltimore Avenue through West Philly and Lansdowne.
The diner image is one of more than 28,000 Tichnor Brothers post cards from the Digital Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Peter Evans PA Lansdowne Jan 15, 2021 Back in Time Diners Nostalgia
Location: Lansdowne, PA
Peter Evans Jan 15, 2021
Share Fernwood Diner Vanished Americana -Lansdowne, PA