The Capitol Theatre opened on November 21, 1921. Like many other theaters of its day, it was a vaudeville and silent picture theater that converted into “talkies” a few years after opening. It closed on April 22, 1974, after a building inspector found multiple violations.
It was purchased by the City of New London in 1978, not to restore the building, but to carve a path for fire exits for the adjacent buildings under the Capitol’s stage. The first photograph was taken during this time. There were a few false redevelopment starts over the years, and was eventually sold. The current owner has yet to finalize his plans for the building, but he has given interviews stating he’s open to the possibility of saving some of the theater.
Matt Lambros CT New London Nov 18, 2022 Abandoned Places Architecture Then & Now
Location: New London, CT
Matt Lambros Nov 18, 2022
Share Then and Now - Capitol Theatre - New London, CT