The Capitol Theatre in Quincy, MA opened in 1912 as the Kincaide Theatre. It was built by Col. Henry Kincaide, a Spanish-American war veteran and local businessman. The 1350 seat theater showed community productions, vaudeville performances, and silent films. It is best known for hosting Eugene O’Neil’s play “Strange Interlude” in October 1929, when it had been banned from being played in a Boston theater. It was a big hit and played for four weeks instead of the two it was originally booked for.
Its name was changed to the Quincy Theatre in 1926, and The Capitol in 1944. The theater did not have air conditioning, so it closed during the summer months. In 1950, it closed for the summer and never fully reopened. The last performance on stage was an adaptation of “Snow White” on May 20, 1951.
The building was demolished in April 1962, so that an extension to a nearby Sears department store could be built. In 1988, Sears moved to South Shore Plaza, and the building was turned into the Quincy Fair Mall, and the Flagship Cinemas Quincy, an eight screen theater. The Flagship Cinemas closed in December 2006, and the entire building was demolished in 2010. It is now the intersection of Hancock Street and Walter Hannon Parkway.
Matt Lambros MA Quincy Feb 09, 2023 Architecture History Then & Now