The Magnet Theatre was located at 301 Washington Street, in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston, MA.
It had an impressive facade, which boasted a striking gigantic window on the second floor. A rectangular marquee proudly displayed the theater’s name, “Magnet,” in bold letters at the front. A vertical blade sign topped the facade, adding to its identity. The facade also featured three sets of double doors, with poster cases positioned on either side.
It was reportedly built in 1925 and was on the MGM circuit for its first decade. The seating capacity of the theater was listed as 714 seats on the main floor and 714 seats in the balcony, although it is worth noting that there is some suspicion regarding the repetition of the “714” figure. Alternatively, the 1927 Film Daily Yearbook indicated that the Magnet Theatre had an estimated seating capacity of 800.
The Magnet closed in the 1950s, and was eventually demolished. Today, the site is occupied by a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, and an empty lot.
Matt Lambros MA Boston Jul 07, 2023 Architecture History Then & Now
Location: Boston, MA
Matt Lambros Jul 07, 2023
Share Then and Now - Magnet Theatre - Dorchester, MA