Then and Now - The New Oriental Theatre - Canton, MA
The Orpheum Theatre in Canton, located in the southwest suburb of Boston, originally opened in 1918 with 600 seats. It later underwent a name change and became known as the Strand Theatre.
In November 1978, the theater was taken over by local showman Fred McLennan and renamed the New Oriental Theatre. During this time, it primarily screened revivals. McLennan transformed it into a remarkable “movie palace museum,” which became a popular destination for cinema and theater enthusiasts. The decorative plasterwork from the Atmospheric style Oriental Theatre in Boston was removed and installed in the Canton theater.
He also installed an organ originally from the Community Theatre in Dedham. The seating capacity was reduced. It remained a popular single-screen theater for several years, drawing enthusiasts and visitors.
The New Oriental closed in 1983, and was converted into office and retail space. Nothing remains of the theater.
Matt Lambros MA Canton Jun 22, 2023 Architecture History Then & Now
Location: Canton, MA
Matt Lambros Jun 22, 2023
Share Then and Now - The New Oriental Theatre - Canton, MA